• Full-time position, based in the Museum. Working 40 hours a week, generally Monday-Friday but flexibility and some evening / weekend working required
• Responsible for the management of all departmental activities, including the line management of departmental staff and interns
• Working in cooperation with other departments, the Museum Director and members of the Board of Directors / Board of Trustees as appropriate, to ensure the efficient operation and development of the Department
• Overseeing the Department’s exhibitions and publications, including ensuring correct consultancy as required
• Representing the Museum, and in particular the Education Department, to external partners as appropriate
• Leading or participating in Museum public events as required
• Also expected to contribute to the general work of the Department, including (but not limited to) guiding groups, leading educational workshops or events, interpreting and translating, contributing to printed and / or digital educational materials
• The Education Manager reports to the Museum Director, and is a member of the Museum’s Senior Staff team.
The Education Manager oversees the work of the Museum’s education department, managing a team of Education Assistants and interns, and working in conjunction with a number of external consultants. The Education Manager is responsible for the management of all education programmes, print and digital education and research projects, and contributing to Museum exhibitions as appropriate, as well as to the strategic development of the Department.
The post is bi-lingual, Polish-English. The Education Manager reports to the Museum Director.
- Responsible for the management and strategic development of all departmental activities
- Line management of departmental staff and interns
- Managing all education programme work, including guided tours seminars and lectures and workshops field trips meetings with Righteous and Survivors
- Managing all print and digital education projects, including securing consultancy as appropriate and ensuring compliance with all legal requirements
- Taking leading roles in Museum research projects and new exhibitions, as appropriate. Delegating as required.
- Managing all departmental public events, including planning, leading, and participation as required
- Representing the Museum, and in particular the Education Department, to external partners as appropriate cooperating with Museum partners as required.
- Also expected to contribute to the general work of the Department, including (but not limited to) guiding groups, leading educational workshops or events, interpreting and translating, contributing to printed and / or digital educational materials
- Undertaking all relevant administrative tasks for the correct functioning of the department.
- Other tasks as reasonably requested.
Note: This list of responsibilities is intended to be indicative of the scope of the Education Manager responsibilities, and should not be considered exhaustive.
• Candidates should have a strong background in Jewish and / or Holocaust Studies
• Candidates should have a demonstrable commitment to the work and mission of the Galicia Jewish Museum
• Qualifications and / or experience in pedagogic / education also desirable
• Excellent written and oral presentation skills required. Comfortable working with large groups of visitors from a range of backgrounds
• Preference will be given to candidates with a publications and / or curatorial record
• Management experience also desirable
• Fluent Polish and excellent knowledge of written and spoken English required. Other languages also desirable
CLOSING DATE: 12:00 Friday 31 December 2010
CVs and covering Letters of Application should be sent by email to:
The Galicia Jewish Museum is located in Kazimierz, the Jewish quarter of Krakow. The Museum was established in 2004, and exists to commemorate the victims of the Holocaust and to celebrate the Jewish culture of Galicia, offering a contemporary look at the Jewish past in Poland (www.galiciajewishmuseum.org). The Museum offers exciting, responsible positions within a small, dynamic and friendly institution. The Education Manager will oversee the activities of the Education Department. The position combines administrative and management responsibilities as well as participation in the regular activities of the Department.